Why We Are Here..

We created this blog to keep family and friends up to date on our journey. We also want to share an opportunity for others to understand that baldness does not have to mean sadness. Most of all we want to educate about Alopecia and create an opportunity to raise funds to help support research.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Update-treatment 4

Another treatment down today! Callie is very itchy and red. This is the most intense reaction she has had so far. I am wondering what this means? The dermatologist says we should give it a few more months before we stop for awhile. So we will keep the positive mojo flowing and forge ahead.
On a side note, we had a rough emotional week. Callie was in the play area with a friend at a restaurant for a kids night, when she barreled out of the door with tears down her face. After consoling her for a few minutes I realized that she had been made fun of when she took off her hat to beat the heat. First of all, I am proud that she is finally getting comfortable with her new appearance, but what a kick in the face. I reminded her that what was important was that she knew she was beautiful, smart, and perhaps the best little girl in the world. Then I told her to put up her chin, and keep playing with her friend. Inside I was crumbling, it's difficult to watch your child suffer for a condition you have zero control over.
Then I realized how lucky she is because twenty years from now her skin will be thick and she will surround herself with wonderfully supportive people. I know she will keep getting stronger! I also have to note that her friend had already leapt into action telling the child how mean their words were and how it hurt her feelings. What a courageous little girl (her parents should be so proud)! So it just shows me that Callie is finding those who have big hearts and she is making a difference even if it is just one child at a time. "Bald is beautiful". :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment